I popped over to Dribble to visit Mynx and saw her beautiful pics of Christmas shopping in 97 degree weather and it took me on a pleasant trip down memory lane. I had the good fortune of living in a little village (about 2000 people) in South Australia for a couple of years in the early 1990's...it was a great experience and I love Aussies!!!
My favorite things about Australia:
1. The people...very down to earth, unpretentious, "what-you-see-is-what-you-get". I was very fortunate that several Aussie's "took me under their wings" so I could truly experience Australia and not just the tourist aspects...I will be forever grateful to them.
2. The Aussie sense of humor...the people I got to know had a very dry, sarcastic sense of humor....much like mine...I fit right in :-)
3. The weather...where I lived the forcast was the same every day...hot and sunny...no humidity! It only rained twice the entire time I was there...bad for plants, great for Dad :-)
4. The slang....a blue = a fight, POME = Prisoner of Mother England, thunderbox = outhouse, arvo = afternoon, pissed = drunk, smoko = break time, loo = toilet...they have a million of them...fair dinkum (honest).
5. The beer.....I was never a beer drinker...until I went to Australia...West End Export and Victoria Bitter were the two I liked best...stay away from XXXX beer, it results in farts that will peel paint off the walls!
6. Imparja Television..we only got two tv channels...Imparja is owned by Aboriginal tribes...some great programming about living in the outback.
My least favorite things about Australia
1. Vegemite....a dark brown Australian food paste made from yeast extract...one word...yuck!!! I had a mate explain that one had to be introduced to vegemite before the age of two in order to tolerate the taste :-)
2. Cricket...booooooorrrrrrring and it seems to go on forever!!! With only two tv channels, when the 7 day matches were on...I didn't even bother turning on the tube.
3. Grudges...never met people that could hold a grudge for so long....I knew some guys that had been mad at each other for so long they couldn't even remember why they got mad in the first place!
4. Flies...never seen so many friggin' flies in all my life!!! Little bastards are everywhere!
Well I've gotta go be Dad...JM needs me to relocate the wire for her tv cable...it's great to be needed :-)